Here are some simple suggestions for the writer of a scientific paper, technical article, thesis, or other technical writing:
- Attempt to avoid the use of run-on sentences. Try to keep the length of each sentence to one line and never more than two lines.
- Use active verb forms when possible, rather than passive verb forms.
- Keep your sentences simple, rather than complicated.
- Vary the length of your sentences.
- Use words that are in common use, rather than exotic or little-used words.
- Similarly, use short words rather than long words.
- Nouns and verbs are more important than adjectives and adverbs. Select your nouns and verbs carefully to add clarity and color.
- Ensure that verbs agree with their subjects.
- Minimize your use of abbreviations.
- Capitalize only proper nouns.